Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Spirit of Giving

So this morning as I sit here feeling sorry for myself, missing my friends back in Cali and my siblings like crazy, feeling isolated, and wishing I was somewhere else, I pose us ALL this question...

What if we looked outside our traditions, our circle of comfort, the activities or things we feel make Christmas feel festive and instead made a point to make a difference in someone else's life that normally you might not.

What if, instead of feeling the pressure to buy everyone gifts and decorate and make cookies or gingerbread houses (which are all great traditions), we also or even instead gave someone a meal they might not have otherwise, or bought a family a goat or cow or filled a box for a child in need, or even donated for a child's surgery. Honestly my daughter does NOT need any more toys, I do not need those boots or mixer I've been admiring.

Christmas is a season that is more about giving that any other holiday celebrated in the world. Those of us who live in America are blessed with comfort beyond what we deserve. What about those that are without, don't they deserve a warm meal? A dry bed? A smile? A reason to keep going?

So...What can YOU do? Giving isn't about it being on YOUR terms! You don't get to decide what the recipient does with their gift, you're called to give! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment